Open Letter: LDR

Dear Former Flame,

I'm gonna start off by saying I'm glad we don't have to work on a long-distance relationship anymore. It was difficult, wasn't it? Email needed Internet (+ takes significantly more time to get a response). Long-distance calls & texts were pricey. Sucky broadband = slow Skype/MSN, and we often got disconnected. Not to mention the reality that is our vastly different timezones.

Now there's WiFi, 3G and whathaveyou. Almost everyone I know has BBM, WhatsApp, FaceTime, Line, Hookt, or some other form of free communication. All you need is a device and perhaps a mobile plan. I communicate so regularly with friends in Mexico and Hong Kong and it always strikes me how easy it is.

Sometimes when I'm feeling pensive, I wonder how different it could have been for you and me, if our situation was the same and we had met just a month ago.

I know, I know... there's no point wondering, times have changed, life goes on, etc. But really. We were so good together! I just know that if we had been able to keep updated on each other's lives more often and more easily, we could have made it work. Somehow, we would have made it work.

Of course long-distance relationships take more work than simply having the convenience of WhatsApp. But the fact that these things are technically free of charge makes having an LDR so much more feasible (than having to pay a small fortune on long-distance calls).

You just have to look at your phone, not turn on the computer and wait for shit to load. You can know exactly what the other person's doing in realtime instead of having to read about it over an email. You're not calculating what's important enough to share in a phone call just because you might run out of credit the next minute. And you don't have to feel the miles stretch between you when you hang up.

Yes, times have changed in these 6 years. To some it might not seem a long time, and to others the advances in technology have been miniscule; but to me these last 6 years were full of new options; new possibilities that came too late to save us. Timing really is everything.

But oh well. I guess God has other plans.

All the best with your new girl.

~N

Comments closed

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive