"Queremos el rumba"

It's so hard to believe that the Youth Olympics 2010 is over! I've had such a blast for 14 days straight, dudes.
Having to slow down, watching the whole event unwind and come to a close, is just sad. The closing ceremony was emotional for everyone involved. :[

Before the end came, though, we had way too much fun. The party on the athletes' last night together somehow turned into a huge dance fest with everyone doing amateur habanera, cha-cha, salsa and other forms of shaking under the tutelage of some overenthusiastic Cuban committee members.

I never thought I'd get the chance to dance 1-on-1 with people from the island of Aruba, but I did (and it was GLORIOUS).


Had dinner with Team Indonesia, too (of all nations!). Don't really know how we ended up together. It just.. happened. Funny bunch. I have a feeling I'll be remembering our conversations for a long time to come.

I'm actually in the above picture, in case you weren't expecting to find me. lol.)

Uh huh...

And as it just so happened, Team Turkey sat at the table next to ours that night. Couldn't believe my luck, the Turkish gymnast I have been eyeballing was sitting right next to me eating a Big Mac. LOL.

Ferhat, silver medalist. 10x handsomer and a *really* nice guy in real life.

Hehee. My friends hate me for getting that picture but OH WELL. Met a few of the more "popular" athletes... I'm not uploading all of their photos, though. Heh.

Odane Skeen from Jamaica. He's just Usain Bolt in a younger body. For serious.

Ernesto from Cuba, extremely fit gold medalist whom everyone thinks
looks like Taylor Lautner/Jacob Black.
"No hablo ingles"
, though.


My fellow interpreters and I had such an awesome time, we organized a barbecue to prolong the fun. Hahaha. I swear I've never heard so much German, Kazakh and Portuguese being spoken (in the same room) in my life. And listening to my friends strategize their Wii Swordfight moves in Russian? Was nothing short of woaahh. I need to lie down and recoup now.

24 comments:

M'Liene M'Lina said...

Oh my, I'm in total envy as I read through your entry and view your pictures. You had such a ball didn't you? I do hope I will have such an opportunity one day. Hehe. This looks too awesome, really! Keep ballin' Nash. As for now, I shall just try to keep my envy at bay. :/

M'Liene M'Lina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
justyn said...

OMG! Hot! Even the first pic, although i can't see his face I know he's hot! LOL!


Sounds like a fanTAStic time. Great post, Nashty. :)))

Ricademus said...

"such a blast for 14 days straight, dudes" Ahhhhh, you are so funny!!! That's a great line.

I can't understand why countries have trouble getting along when the actual people have so much fun together. Maybe the bitter people with no talent end up running our governments.

flashman said...

Great time, huh? The closing ceremony was so touching & emotional. How come I dont see any pics of you alone with a female athlete? Haha! Amik gamba dengan yang laki2 hensem je nampak... =P

(T) (H) (B) said...

That's so cool! Glad u had fun. =)

masroor. said...

sometimes i worry the fun culminates only during these times and wont spread during school terms, naaimean? hoho.

anyhoo. i hope for more stuff like zese one day in the future (AHAHA). glad to be doing them con tu. :)

ScoMan said...

I love the idea of people sitting there strategizing their Wii swordfight moves in amongst all that.

Because that's what I would do.

But not in Russian, because if I was strategizing in Russian I wouldn't have any idea of what was going on, which defeats the point of strategizing.

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

I love the pictures Nashe. Oh and those guys you are with are really cute. *wink*

Fickle Cattle said...

That looks like an amazing experience. I'm a little jealous now.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

fairuz said...

the Turkish gymnast is HAWWTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! Astaga!!

U took a pic with that jamaican dude? My friend's friends said they had to queue to take a pic with him or something...but unsucessful. Lucky you!!

Nashe^ said...

Thanks for the comments, you guys :D

@Fairuz: The Turkish gymnast is way more adorbz in real life, I can promise you. Such a sweet guy, too.
And Skeen? I actually approached to the Jamaican Chef de Mission and asked if she could get me a picture with him. LOL. Then she pulled Skeen out of the throng of fans so we could take that picture.

Back door tactics totally work sometimes! ^^

The Demigoddess said...

You lucky, lucky girl! That turkish guy is hawt.

Manju said...

the cuban gold medalist is hawwwwwwwwwt

krissy ♥ said...

Ooh that really sounds like an amazing experience!

uhlainey said...

Ernesto really looks like Taylor Lautner/Jacob Black! Even my siblings agree when we were watching the games!

You are so lucky to have met most of them athletes!!

nitia/ monto said...

ohh wow look at that guy from Turkey. his arm looks so strong. i like it

Gadfly said...

Holy crap. With all those languages -- that was definitely your world. I would have been a babe in the woods *laughing*

Andhari said...

Oh hellooo I'm smelling hot guys from different countries, perk you right up, no?

hahaha

lol @ team Indonesia..I hope they teach you some bad words.

Unknown said...

i know the feeling! it was so sad when the 2010 winter olympics ended here!!! i want to dance with aruba pplz too!!! lucky! and that guy you took a pic with.... hubba hubbbaaaa...

bananas. said...

well hello ferhat...dark hairy guys are normally my style (hi my bf is bald) but he is CUTE!!!

you go little lady!

TG said...

hey, ferhat looks hot. would you date him? Ok, rhetorical question, kthxbai :)

SassyGirl said...

Wait, didn't you take Spanish? Isn't the whole point of learning Spanish to talk to hunky Cuban gymnasts?

Sounds like a blast. If you love meeting people from other countries, you should definitely travel, and stay in a hostel, because then you will hear an endless conversations like strategizing Wii Swordfight moves in Russian.

unokhan said...

what sassygirl said, yup

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive