It's One of Those Things You Can't go Back to.

"Sayang" is love in Malay. Not in an I-fell-in-love-with-a-hunk way, but more of an affectionate, Mama-loves-Baby kinda way.

I remember how my dad would punctuate all his lines with a "sayang" when he was calling me, or waking me up when I was a kid. Like,
"Wake up, sayang. You got school." And when I refused to budge he'd still go "Sayang, wake up sayang...You'll be late, sayang." He just never seemed to tire of that word. I think I was ten or eleven, when he tried waking me up that same way. I was really sleepy, and I decided I was sick of that word, so after he walked out I yelled down the hallway-

"I'M NOT YOUR SAYANG!!!!!" (and went back to bed)


I forgot all about his sayangs until a decade later. Now. NOW when I have to wake up to a stupid alarm clock. NOW when all I get are nudges and "Hey hey wake up"s. I admit I got a little mad that he stopped his affectionate ways. He wasn't supposed to take me seriously, dammit... But I guess that's the little-girl side of me talking. The side that will always need her big protective daddy. Times like those are getting harder and harder to remember, so I'm putting it here before I forget he once ever did those things.





I mean, hearing the words "Who's your daddy" now just rings a different sort of bell, nam sayin'?
I don't see why I have to wait for Father's Day for a post like this.





I miss being daddy's little girl.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet =)

- RD

Nashe^ said...

@ RD : Hehehe.

Gadfly said...

I think daddy raised a great girl. And the psyche interview rocked :D

lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

i usually only call someone "sayang" to be condescending. like, "iya dong, sayang."

Woozie said...

There are so many psych majors stateside that they can't find jobs. And people are still going into the field!

Anonymous said...

Children grow up. Maybe it's your turn to say sayang.

My .02

Greg

Nashe^ said...

@ Gad : Aww thanks. Hahaaheeheee



@ Deb : Oh you're the mean one. And really, I hardly say the word at all. It's so...eugh.


@ Woo : Well, you can bet I ain't going into it. It was just for fun. I guess that's why I even dared to say the shit.



@ Greg : Oh really? haha. Sadly thogh, I don't like saying it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, in my country (the Philippines) "sayang" means "a waste" or "too bad."

Nashe^ said...

That's linguistics for ya ;)

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive