Classified
Like many people out there, I'm feeling a little lost. Once in a while, I feel the overwhelming urge to organize or classify the things in my life. And since I have already colour-coded my wardrobe and arranged my shoes in order of heel height yesterday, I'm gonna move on to bigger, more sublime (but equally important) stuff.
Like friends.
Come on, who can honestly say that all the people they hang out with are cut from the same cloth, tailored from the same silk? Some friends you take to an MCR concert, others you take to the Marciano runway show, nam sayin'?
Ergo, although it is of zero importance to you, here is my band of buddies, classified. (I've mixed them up, not in order of priority of any sort.)
Group A: Those whom I go girly with. The group with the foodie sleepovers, hair experimentation (usually at the expense of mine), fashion debates, hardcore shopping escapades and all things girl.
Group B: The drinking kakis* (read: Singlish for 'buddies'). Not all my friends drink, some religiously abstain; so Group B is the select group of people whom I'll look for when I'm feeling particularly down. Oh you know what I mean.
Group C: The true blues. The ones I feel closest to, the ones I care about the most. They're the people I could sit in silence with. The ones I won't have to think twice about saving from pirates, monsters, hairy animals, burning malls, whatever.
Group D: The random schoolmates. They would be the ones I don't mind hanging out with, but only for a short part of the day. Anything more than a five hours would have me feigning an emergency situation back home which requires my immediate presence.
Group E: Those whom I get all tough and rugged with. We hang at the back alleys, do assorted hiphop shiz at the Esplanade and doze off on the floor when we're tired. When we're together, it's all about ripping the dancefloor. Straight street. (And if you think that I haven't seen this group of friends in years, you're right.)
Group F: The normal friends. Friends I made through a conventional setting, like because we were in the same classes and stuff. Most of us bond fast coz we're on the same wavelength.
Group G: Blog buddies. Major LOL? Not really. True we don't hang out at all. But besides the comments, there's something about your daily (& random) emails that make me feel appreciated. Trusted, even. You have no idea how a simple "Hello Nash, how's Singapore? It's windy today in Melbourne" can make me smile.
Group H: The weird, unpredictable people. The ones I feel life has given me for reasons I have yet to figure out. They would be the ones whom I think would follow me to the ends of the Earth no matter what I do. Come to think of it, only one person fits this section.
-------------------------
It kinda sucks that not many of these friends overlap their roles. Only some do.
The girls from Group A do not share the same educational background as me so we can't really talk about school-ey stuff.. The friends from Group F are mostly teetotalers who won't step into a bar.. And the dancers in Group E can't even spell Ferragamo without breaking out in hives.
The different groups differ so much, but I don't know if I would modify their roles if I could. It actually seems like a good thing to do. I don't know if you understand what I'm talking about, but ah well.
Did I mention that out of all these people listed above, like 60% are non-Singaporeans? I wish I had more friends from this little island but it just doesn't seem to be happening. It's way frustrating. I feel like I'm stuck in the wrong country or something.
Maybe I am. Maybe that's why none of my relationships last around here. But damnit, I do love this place and it'll be so much nicer if I clicked well with my fellow citizens. I think I need help.
Help.
The Nashty
- Nashe^
- Twenty7 and not much hotter. Looking for my happily ever after.
Be a Baller and Join My Twitterazzi
Or Click Here to Ask Me Dirty Questions
Mantra of The Moment
Stalking Me Yet?
Followers
Stuff I REALLY Want
- Love in the first degree
- A Trip to North Africa
- A brain scan/ fMRI
- All books by Belinda Jones
- All books by Rachel Gibson

30 comments:
i have always thought you belonged somewhere else.
not that it's a bad thing. some people have trouble mingling with foreigners. you have the opposite problem, if it is even a problem. but what can i say, if you don't click, then you don't.
Hah! I know how you feel! Sometimes it saddens me that I can’t just hangout with a huge group of friends with the same interests, same mindset, etc. mine group of friends are also broken up into different “groups/categories”. But I’d have to say Group G rocks the most. Hahaha! ;P I know what you mean about simple things that people from across the oceans say to you that make your day.
Help! Hahaha.
Though I haven't seen you in years, glad to be part of your Group E. :)
Good times.
@ putra: Yea, but it would be nice to be like others, too. =(
@ Kym: Totally. aND Group G rocks in its own way, definitely! XD
@ fairuz: I know, right? Sigh.
I know what you mean, I have varying groups as well! Sometimes that's nice, different friends for different situations and different downtimes. Other times, like when you're trying to set up a big group outting or get together like a b-day. You fear that no one gets along because everyone's in a different group.
I have friends from when I was in grade/middle/high school that would never really fit in with my college friends. Different mindsets and all that.
Ahh girl. It can't be easy for you. We all have this issue only in different angles.
but I guess that is whats gonna make it all the more special when you do meet someone (a special someone?) who is singaporean!
During my stay in Singapore, I also felt it's a bit hard to build up a true and strong friendship with Singaporeans... I guess I should've met you at that time :) Maybe you're too openminded and too intellectual for most of your fellow Singaporeans to keep up with you. Maybe they're afraid they won't meet your standards. Who knows... :) Just a thought.
Kawanku, aku kawan awak? Boleh lah? ^^
I LOVE this. I think we all have those groups, to some effect. Well, not THOSE groups, but DIFFERENT groups... you know what I mean!
Moonjava: Yes exactly. You can't just wing it sometimes.
@ Izan: Aye aye! :D
@ Nino: LOLWUT. Boleh! XD
I don't think I'm too anything for them, but I do feel uncomfortable sometimes. Like THEY're the ones too intellectual or something.
@ LiLu: I do know what you mean! Hahaha... :))
you're fortunate to have so many groups and great support system. some people don't have as many, or any!!
Wow....quite a classification that.N ur blog looks better....done some modifications?Well, c my new poem too.Always great 2 have u there.
www.deepteshpoetry.blogspot.com
@ Floreta: The support system isn't fantastic, actually. But oh well...
@ Deeptesh: I didn't do anything.
Well gosh I know what you mean. I guess we all have our classification/observation system. Based on your system, I'd probably be under the girly girly and ummm well, the much obvious Group G. Blog buddies...hehehehe...but gosh, I do hope I get the chance to hang out with you on my trip to singapore. =)
@ Mel: Oh yes yes yes! Call me!
OMG...I know I'm missing the point of this post but you color coded your wardrobe??? I sooo want to do that toooo now!!!!!! And shoes by heel height - sad, I only have 4 pairs of heels...but the 4 they are is what counts ;P
you make me start to classify my friends too....but I dont think I have that many friends like you...hihihi, so the number of groups will be smaller, definitely.
Anyway, I am happy that even though we dont hang out, I could still make you happy =)
have a nice day, sweetie pie =)
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!
sorry im just laughing at smthg up there. cute!
@ PLP: Yeah I colour-coded it so I can pick out my outfits fast. lulz. Also, I'll know if something's missing! XD
@ Eunice: Oh trust me, I don't have as many as you think. Lost touch with a whole bunch up there =(
@ Masth: APEJER TAU. Sini, bilang aq.
Hi Nash, how's Singapore? It's sunny in D.C.:)
(Does this qualify me for Group G?) (Oh I hope so, I really, really hope so.)
P.S. I think you might have too many friends;)
@ Sabrina: You're officially in Group G! XD
No, it's a total faux pas to say that I have too many friends, really! I have all these acquaintances and buddies but only a handful are friends. :(
woman you have many friendss.. lol. i can only relate to you on group A,B,C,D,F,G. i have less friend classification but not that i'm picky.. :p
I have way less than you think. =(
(Blog buddies are totally my favorite group at this point.)
I think you just have a different mindset from many ppl here. Don't worry worry k. You rock in your own way.
@ Rachel: It should be!
@ Flaz: Thanks, dude. :)
babe!!!! *blog buddy hugs*
is it pathetic that i rely on my blog buddies to make me happy, like 90% of the time? ah well, if anyone thinks it's pathetic, well screw you. i'm happy being pathetic if it makes me happy to have virtual loves :) (i'm kidding, don't screw yourself...)
oh, btw, i got you a nice (i hope!) postcard from paris. i'll send it after i come back from london ok? :P
OKIE DOKES, Doc!
PS I have an award for you at my blog!
Post a Comment