Strong is the new skinny
If you have been following me on Twitter, you'd probably know that I've made it my mission to work out at least once a day.
It started out as one of my New Year's resolutions. I wrote "Exercise more often" on a notepad, but didn't really give it much thought. All through January I just upped my exercise routines from 3-4 times per month to 3-5 times per week. I don't smoke, and I've cut down on the drinking almost totally.
February rolled around and I realized that while I didn't get fattier, I was merely remaining the same. There was no real gratification at all. That status quo was not the muscle training after-effects I had in mind. I knew something had to change for my physique to change! It's that simple.
The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
And I want to be a lean, mean, crunching machine.
I kept myself motivated by having this certain exercise role model in my head every time I trained. Then one day while having a post-workout shower, I realized that my role model hasn't crossed my mind at all for the past 7 days. I didn't need to use her for inspiration anymore; her mentality was becoming my own.
The first person to notice my change was actually my friend's dad. How unexpected! I was chilling at her place (as I always do) and her dad went "You look like a totally different person!" LOL. People who've never had to work hard at body-sculpting probably don't know how nice it feels to get such comments.
I'd like to clarify, though, that I'm not trying to lose weight and become skinny. As long as you're not anorexic or obese, weight is just a number and it isn't a representation of how healthy you are. I just want to be fitter and more toned- being clean on the inside.
Lets be realistic... I'll probably never have a supermodel's body; I have high bone mass and far too many scars and bruises from past injuries! But what I lack in shine and polish, I'll make up for it in strength and spirit.
Femmes and fellas, here's to a healthier 2012.
The Nashty
- Nashe^
- Twenty7 and not much hotter. Looking for my happily ever after.
Be a Baller and Join My Twitterazzi
Or Click Here to Ask Me Dirty Questions
Mantra of The Moment
Stalking Me Yet?
Followers
Stuff I REALLY Want
- Love in the first degree
- A Trip to North Africa
- A brain scan/ fMRI
- All books by Belinda Jones
- All books by Rachel Gibson

12 comments:
I've been the new skinny my whole life!!! LOL, I know it's different for men--we don't want to be 98 pound weaklings or "pantywaists" (as my dad used to call them).
It sounds like you're doing a great job on being fit, but I have just a small bit of bad news for you. You don't lack in shine, you're a shiny girl. I'm so sorry. ;P
The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.--SO TRUE, nashty! I love this post. It's so quietly inspiring :)
<3
being clean on the inside, i like that shit! gambatte, kitz. 3-5 times a week tho? you sure? i find you working out like every day. ^^ and you must listen to jolie when she says "scars are sexy."
Let's be workout buddies!!
I don't know how that will work... But yeah, let's be workout buddies!! :D
That right there is something I've always liked about u. I know you don't just make empty resolucions! All the best with this endeavour, alhtough imo you r already pretty fine to me ;)
This is a really good post! I really like it.
www.modernworld4.blogspot.com
That's dangerous--when you're writing a note and zone out for a second on who you're writing to. Next thing you know xoxo's and who kows what else ends up going to the wrong person. =)
Congrats! just remember that what you consume makes a huge difference in how well your workouts help shape your body! Keep it up girl :)
@ erleene: Yes, of course! You're totally right :)
Go you! And go me too! Let's keep each other motivated! haha! I've been on a steady routine now for almost 3 months but i'm not gonna lie.. there are days when i wonder if it's worth it at all... and some days when i just want to jump in a pool of french fries with cheese, gravy, bacon, and mushrooms and devour it all. Actually, just typing that is making me drool, i better stop. Anyway - way to go Nashy!!
Keep it up, Nashe! I swear to myself I'll get back in shape after the pregnancy (currently at 59.9kgs *sigh*).
by the way, belated Happy Birthday!
♥
ooh...I really like your blog! Wonderful post;)
♥
I am doing a survey of bloggers, and I want to ask you a couple of questions.)
1.) How old are you?
2.) How old is your blog?
3.) Why you created a blog?
4.) How long you plan to carry it?
In the earlier, thanks!
Post a Comment