island living

I can't believe I've spent 3 weeks on this crazy island! Having my own chalet, being chauffeured to work on traffic-less roads, getting 3 meals delivered daily... It's been nice. (/understatement!)

And since I work only 6 hours every day, the rest of the day is spent riding around the island with a few of my students, sometimes in between classes as well.

My ride. Sometimes we go helmetless, as island folks do.

Even going to the nearby hawker centre for lunch makes me a little nervy; there are so many humps and bumps along the road.

Some of the girls decided to whisk me off to Sekera Beach right after class on Wednesday and daymm the journey itself was half the fun. And Sekera Beach is great! Very breezy, peaceful and the water's clean.
Pantai Sekera

I had no idea the island was SO BIG. It's as big as my entire country, I think. I could traverse Singapore from east to west with the time taken to get to Sekera.

Went to the badminton hall to watch some of my other students play in a badminton tournament, too. They aren't the best players around but their spirit and dedication are definitely admirable. I could learn a thing or two from these guys about determination.

Sigh. My so-called contract here is apparently being debated at the moment. The Powers That Be haven't decided if they want to keep me for an extra week in July. But whether I have 3 weeks or 4 weeks more, I still get a sick feeling in my gut every time I think about the end. :(

11 comments:

Ricademus said...

All the good men are not taken and all the taken men are not good. ;P

It's okay to have a crush--as long as he stays over there and you stay over here (I wish I could spell that the way Cartman says it). =)

Safe in the Steep Cliffs said...

*sigh* you seem like you're having so much fun. despite the fact that you have to work 6 hours a day (which isn't bad at all), you get to stay in a pretty island full of lovely people.

-robots in trouble

Manju said...

Rick's always got wise words as advice. maybe it's the island fever? but crushes never hurt, as long as you know where to draw the line

krissy ♥ said...

Wise words from our friends Rick and Manju :)

Ah, I wish I can also experience an island get-away like what you're doing. It'll be nice to get away from the smog of Manila for a while.

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Sometimes it just feels so good to get away from the city and just admire the ocean breeze and sand and the sun isn't it? I'm glad you are enjoying your stay at the island and that teaching is fun for you. =) And yikes about the married man. I hope he doesn't stumble upon your blog. hehehe.

dolce la robyn said...

i've to admit i'm having a major crush with one of my big bosses too. and he's married.

but like they say, there's no harm crushing over someone (a good excuse to have a reason to come to work) as long as that's all that there is.

:)

Hepburn Hilton said...

looks beautiful! What a great place to work for the summer, I'm crossing my fingers for the extra week!!

ps. lay off the married dude, you are to good for that shit ;)

Ortega said...

What did I say??? Three single guys in your bed is better than 1 married man!!


Glad to hear you're having a ball tho. :D

TG said...

You are so awesome! And lucky! I also have island living, but is much more stressful! How about we exchange for a month.. year?? :P

justyn said...

So jealous!!! I'm so deskbound 4 days a week! Boo me :( Look at that beach!

ps; pics of the married man? lol.

Unknown said...

okay so clearly i've been away FOREVER! i'm so behind on everyones lives!!! haha! anyway, island living sounds like a lotta fun... even more fun when you've got a little crush! hehehe! and yes, post pics of the married man, then i'll tell u what to do. hahaha! justkidding!!! i'm sure it'll pass once you've left the island. you don't wanna be "the other woman" !!!

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive