O Lordy, Deliver Mine Ears From BS

I did NOT have a pleasant recent work experience, lest you're wondering. I like the profession, I really do, but that particular school is just a hellhole. Stupid rowdy students aside, the management team sucks. My past experiences in teaching did not include unfriendly staff and a jackass principal.

Forget the students' lameness in the previous post. The kind of stupid shit I heard from the faculty... I can't even go there. Oh wait. I WILL go there, coz it annoyed the crap out of me on my last day and I still haven't purged my emotions on the topic. Here we go. Real life examples of what my ears have had to put up with:


Office staff informing me about some shit:

"Oh this. You have to go to the HOD (Head of Department) room over there and tell them you need to leave at 7pm." (repeat sentence 90x)

What? It doesn't matter how many times you repeat it- Who the shit is "them"?! Am I supposed to barge into the HOD room and holler "HEY EVERYONE, I NEED TO LEAVE AT 7PM!!" ? I mean it's so obvious I'm a 3-day temp, and you expect me to know all the bloody staff members and understand your weird dialect?


Office staff astonished when I asked for a map of the school:

"Map? But I thought you already been here before, right? How come still need the map?"

Gee man, I don't know. Maybe coz you assigned me to 3 different classes and the school is BIG with 40 classrooms and the last time I came here was like two years ago? I don't know, you tell me. And don't give me that condescending look each time I walk through the door, bitch. It ain't my fault I'm hot and you're not. (pssshhhtt!)


And not forgetting some gems from the teachers themselves...


Teacher berating student in front of the whole school for "disrespectful behaviour" (I kid you not, she used a mic):

"You think it is funny, is it? Still can laugh some more. You think this, funny! Now I made you apologize, so, you can feel! What the others feel like, when you, are not respectful. So, now you know."

Dude. Among other things, zup with the weirdass punctuation? You just sound dumb at best. And scolding a kid for laughing? Not cool.


Teacher instructing student:

"Go over there; please bring your pencil case and your."

Your... what? The sentence stopped abruptly like that, I didn't even have time to make a confused face.


Teacher telling the Primary 1 kids to do something:

"Lets shows everyone how you do it!"

Shows? Really?


Teacher (angrily) telling students in the hall to be quiet:

"Are you sure you're silent? This I don't think is silent... You are not silence!!"

Nope, they're not silence at all. Pendek kata, I had to feign a major coughing fit to cover up my laughter.



It doesn't take a grammar snob to be tickled/repulsed by such sentences. I'm no education expert but how in the name of GOD are they training these teachers? It's ridiculous that people we call teachers can still fuck up the basics. Just because you're not an English teacher does not mean you don't have to speak the language properly. I mean, the kids listen to you five days a week, for godssakes! You're just confusing them with all your nonsensical phrases, amusing as they are. So much for English being our first language.


Whatever. I'm just glad I'm out of that place. The new semester is starting soon, and I have a few more days to bum around and commit all the general debauchery I want. Lets make use of these precious last days, fellow college mates!

30 comments:

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

OMG! Are you silence? hehehehe...That is just ridiculously funny, I mean, if you can't speak english properly might as well use your local dialect right? Just this morning I heard someone say something like A...A is for Aindia (India)...whhhhaat?! omg! puleez.... hahahaha

Laila P said...

Wow. That sounds REALLY annoying. And quite amusing :)

Moonjava said...

Sounds like it would be totally frustrating to me! Although there are probably some choice phrases that would be totally amusing once you're less annoyed!

rachaelgking said...

Oh, that would drive me CRAZY!!!

Unknown said...

okay, i agree one needs to discipline a child for bad behavior.. but really? in front of the whole school? with a mic? =S and i love the next sentence where she stops abruptly at YOUR... - its just a mystery.. hahaha! ;P

Andhari said...

You're so awesome when you're mad. No, no sorry you had a few bad days teaching :(

Woozie said...

If you don't mind I'm going to burn down that school.

justyn said...

OMG you're quite patient! When is school staring for ya?

TG said...

Nashe, you crack me up once again :)

When I was bumming around Singapore, I noticed that the level of basic English is very low, even those who put aside Singlish and try speak properly. Things like 'I wants, I needs, I likes' were too common. I myself am not a native English speaker, I started learning at 12, but we had great teachers, who really emphasized the proper grammar and pronounciation. I think the most important thing is, when you start learning, the teacher has to be very good. Later you deveop your language skill yourself, but at least you have a solid ground to build on. It doesn't make you look any better, if you learn fancy new words while you say 'I am confidence' (that phrase I heard a lot) :P

Nashe^ said...

@ Mel: AINDIA?? How dumb can some people get! LOL!

@ Nic/Moonjava/LiLu: Exactly! It was terribly annoying. >:(

@ Kym: Yeah it was really bad, humiliating the kid like that. Pfft.

@ Andhari: RAAWWWRRR!!

@ Wooz: I don't mind, but my President does.

@ Justie: Next week, 12th.

@ MKL: Exactly.. when you're a teacher, you don't just do your own thing and talk the way you do at home. Sheesh.

izan said...

ROFLMAO...... wtf! I woulda laughed my guts out in their faces at all of that. That is why your country needs yoooou, nashty :-)

Sandy said...

Haha! The same situation exists here in India. It's like all the brain-dead people were selected to be educators. Makes the future look bleak indeed.

flashman said...

Astaga. Our teachers are mostly like that ah.. my sec sch teachers were all the cina piang kind. Hahaha... Classic singapore neighbourhood schools!

Nashe^ said...

@ Izan: They need nobody nobody but me... right? :D

@ Sandy: The situation should change. STAT!

@ Flash: CINA PIANG or what! Hahaha! Haven't used that word for a few weeks.

Nashatella Liberallis big Fan said...

You were strong, you were brave, you did it! You survived! I admire you more now. I am so confidence that you will becomes a great teecher.

You know who I am by clicking on my name ;-)

Nashe^ said...

@ Big Fan: No one else calls me Nashatella, just so you know :D

the girl in stiletto said...

i know the reason the student laughed in the first place.

he was laughing at her grammar. fo' sho'! :P

Ortega said...

I hate those people who treat you like crap when you're a temp. What's goin on in the education sector..?

putra said...

bwahahaha. and i can just imagine the look on your face when you heard those things. x]

Nashe^ said...

@ TGIS: Hahaha... fo shizzle! XD

@ Ortega: I has no idea. :\

@ Putra: you need to come save me.

masth said...

i so feel u abt the map thang. like, wtf? i'll be like, it's not my fault if i'm 15min late for a class bcos i cant find the bloody toilet let alone the damn classroom. 0_o

and let's not start on the accent that always goes with the stupid punctuations and grammar.

Nashe^ said...

@ Masth: Exacte. For some reason, it's beyond them why newcomers can't find their way around after stepping thru the gate.

twinsouls888 said...

Oh my, I'm sorry for your bad experience but to us readers, 'tis really funny ^_^

mrdes said...

Bad grammar is more well-spread than we like to think...I emphatise with your situation really, for similiar things happen at my office. And almost anywhere if you're a snob like me:P

Nashe^ said...

@ Twinsouls88: I know! Hahaha

@ Mrdes: Heh. It's way prevalent, definitely.

nitia/ monto said...

this is seriously funny..lol, i might not stop mocking them around if i were you.. just take the money and spend it like crazy

Woozie said...

Well your President can eat a juicy cock.

Nashe^ said...

I'll take that as a juicy compliment, Woo.

Anonymous said...

Somehow that sounds like a lot of schools.

Nashe^ said...

@ The Envoy: SIGH.

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive