And I Will Always Recall the City...
My little overachieving island turns 44 today!
Despite the tough laws, high cost of living and whatnot, you gotta love a country where walking home alone at 3AM won't get you mugged. And I gotta love a country where major malls are all within walking distance from each other.
Fellow Singaporeans might gripe about our political leaders and complain about a billion other related things. But we all know deep down how good we have it, to be led by very able, non-corrupt people. However nepotistic they may seem-
[He has a vision for tomorrow
We must believe in PM Lee.
He has a dream for Singapore
He will succeed
He's PM Lee.
Anything he wants, he'll get
Or he'll give you one tight slap
because you see, his father's You Know Who-
Not Lee Kuan Me,
but Lee Kuan Yew.
Count on him, Singapore
Count on him, Singapore
Count on him to do his best and more.
Together him and Minister Mentor
(And don't go to Taiwan anymore. )]
The original song is this one-
Trust me, that song is a favourite for many people here. Come to think of it, I miss singing it in school as part of the National Day celebrations. You can bet that I'll be belting out as many national songs I can remember today, on my own. Yes, we all know how cheesy and dripping-with-propaganda the lyrics can be, but hey, as both local and foreign students in Singapore know, "this is home, truly". When it comes right down to it, living in Asia's most affluent nation isn't so bad.
So we'll build our dreams together
Just like we've done before
Just like the river which brings us life
There'll always be Singapore
The Nashty
- Nashe^
- Twenty7 and not much hotter. Looking for my happily ever after.
Be a Baller and Join My Twitterazzi
Or Click Here to Ask Me Dirty Questions
Mantra of The Moment
Stalking Me Yet?
Followers
Stuff I REALLY Want
- Love in the first degree
- A Trip to North Africa
- A brain scan/ fMRI
- All books by Belinda Jones
- All books by Rachel Gibson

27 comments:
Happy Birthday Singapore! Whats the celebration there?
I lol'ed! The song is quite nice. I might just be singing it myself if I was a singaporean.
Happy Bday Singapore!
nice song!
wish i was there :'(
Aaahh! I still remember the words to Count On Me Spore! My fave is still Kit Chan's "Home" tho.
This is home....truly... where I know I must be... xD
Majulah Singapura!
Happy birthday to the lion! Oh how the indos love playing and shopping in singgapowhh..:)
@ Nit: There'll be a parade. Fireworks and all :D
@ Flaz: That's prolly my favourite, too! XD
@ Andhari: That I know. They definitely do. Lucky me, right? *hehe*
I will always recall the city
Know every street and shore
Sail down the river which brings us life
Winding through my Singapore!!!!!
I LOVE IT!!! Happy national Day, Nash! =)
the sis and i have been singing the songs too. Singing wholeheartedly at that. I swear my neighbours will think we are nutcases.
awwww happy birthday, fellow neighbour! :D how are you celebrating? party? hehe
Over achieving? [*cough] Non corrupt? [*cough] Yes. Whatnot? Yes. Yes.
Xappy birxday Xinjiapo xoxoxo ^^
There's many great things about you, but my personal one... today... is...
the fabulous Nahsheeeee!Woohoo ;-)
I'm reminded of the time we celebrated your NDP dancing on the street. lol! Hope you have a good one sans me!
@ TGIS: DANCING AWAY, of course!
@ MKL: Well I'm flattered. lmao
@ izan: And I miss those times. :(
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE! If I'd known, I would have sent it a card or something ;)
i miss asian country, esp. singapore & malaysia & hongkong. where shops & malls open until 10 pm. where everything's cheap.. :( happy bday singapore!!!
in some ways singapore reminds me of iraq before the invasion -- a multi-ethnic culturally rich nation brought to coherence with a rather stern paternalism. don't let the usa discover you have anything they want, lest you find yourself one day dancing to the old divide et impera waltz.
happy 44th
@ Nic: IT would've liked that!
@ Desh: Singapore isn't that cheap but definitely cheaper than Oz, yes?
@ Uno: We don't have a thing, really. Safe for now.
god, i'm actually a little embarrassed by how little i know about singapore, but you're making me very intrigued...
wow, so young! i didn't realize that :D
Haha! You make me want to visit Singapore so badly. :)
Cheers!
Cheers, everyone! :D
hahahaha i never knew tt's a video for the song! not the dick lee version haha.
ahh home nd stand up for s'pore ftw, real sing-a-long songs =)
left some bloggy love for you on my blog!
@ Kam: Yeah totally!
@ Angryredhead: Checkin it out...
Happy happy birthday singapore! or belated happy birthday rather....I heard a lot of good stuff about your place. And I would love to visit someday. =)
Happy Bday, Singapore! That sounds so funny to say :-)
hey nashe, i'll be visiting singapore in october or november this year? will u be there or in some other part of the world?
if you're just at home, i may need some welcome committee... hehe
@ John: I really don't know! Haha. But you can always email me beforehand or whatev, we'll meet up. :)
Post a Comment