New rules!

My mom's husband is so annoying. He's currently on a money-saving stint that makes everyone feel like they're living in some Boot camp. He just can't stand the sight of me/my elder brother using the computer. (oh btw, my parent's aren't divorced or anything. I simply refuse to refer to him as my dad at all times.)
Apparently, we are only allowed to use the comp for like, 1 hour at a time. What the...?? Tell me, which average assignment-laden, project-doing college student can survive a 1-hour time limit? And every time me and my bro protest, my mom's husband goes "I did not send you to college so that you can learn to be rude to me." Hello?? I don't get his twisted system. And guess what? He doesn't allow us to use the air-con anymore. At all. And when my mom switched the fan on, he turned it off, saying "The windows are already open. The fan is only for when we have guests."- at which my mom stormed off muttering "This is worse than army barracks."

hell yeah. In this house, the bills are run up by guests, apparently. Not the family. I bet my bro will be happier slogging in NS next year rather than living in this poor excuse for a household.
Live with me and you'll find that...:
1) All fans are to be switched off by 6am. (switch-on time is like, 10pm only)
2) Strictly NO air-con whatsoever. Open windows should be the only medium for cooling, air and wind circulation.
3) No more than 12 lightbulbs are to be On at any one time in the house.
4) No computer time for us after 12am. Only he is allowed.
5) When at the comp, no music is to be played. You have to concentrate; no multi-tasking.
6) Maximum limit of 2 hours for the stereo/radio.

-and i realise that if I were to list down all the regulations set by my mom's husband, I will be fifty-one before I'm done. So i better end here and work on my assignment before my erm, 1-hr timer goes off, huh?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be surprised if he doesn't install timers on everything. I mean, I know electricity is high and all, but that is kind of ridiculous.

On a side note, it's funny you refer to air conditioner as air con. I lived on Guam for 2 years, and that is how they refered to it. It took me awhile to get used to it. It just brought back memories when you said it. :-)

jugni said...

hey!
i read about the interview and all... hope i'm not too late in responding. would love to be of any help hun. mail me about it. :)

EATING POETRY said...

oh you poor girl, I remember those days when my dad would freak out. At least you can laugh about it. And I love how you're taking the "computer hour" for blogging... brilliant... um, but when are you going to do that essay of yours?

Thanks for the comments on my blog... and thanks for the "brains" compliment!

Nashe^ said...

@mike goodwin : haha! timers....
you mean you never call air conditioners aircon? gee...isn't that kinda too long to say out? hehe. or maybe its just me and all my shortened+abbraviated Singaporean mindset!


@blow : ok ok! my deadline is like bloody nearing but i'll send you the email anyway. =) now! check for it.


@eating poetry : haha. essay? What essay? teehee. Yeah the rules thing aint that bad but just kinda annoying..

Anonymous said...

Nope. Aircon was a new one to me. I was never one to pick up on accents much. I was raised in Oklahoma, USA, and the only southern thing I say is y'all. Other than that, you probably couldn't tell where I was from.

When I lived on Guam, another thing they would say is "brown" as in, "Hey, Brown, how's it going?" I guess it's their version of Bro'.

So anyway, send your "mom's husband" out on an errand, crank up that aircon, and cool down, brown. :-)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Nashe,
This is one of those "good ol' days" things...NOT! LOL :-)

I never had air conditioning until I got married in 1985. Daddy was too cheap to buy an air conditioner, and we probably couldn't afford the electricity for it anyway. We used fans and kept the windows open all day and night, too. I'd hate to have to go back to those days, now. I am used to my AC and I love it. :-)

Is your Dad trying to save money, or is it a control thing with him?

Anyway, blog when you can at home, and blog at school when you can get away with it, LOL. ;-)

Raghav said...

kill him kill him !
u know u want to !

Alex said...

ok , the nexty time he says "I did not send you to college so that you can learn to be rude to me."
Tell him that they threw that lesson in for free. His penny pinching mind should appreciate that.

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive