*burp* This is the part where I become a complete babi after fasting for a day.
I'll admit it, I had no idea what 'iftar' meant until last year. I've heard it many times, but I just assumed it was some activity people did in the mosque during Ramadhan.
I was completely ignorant, until I was forced to understand it last year when I started uni. That was also around Ramadhan. I probably got a thousand invitations from the university's Muslim Society to come join them in a million assorted events.
I mostly ignored everything (coz lets face it, the religious stuff just wasn't my thing), but the word "iftar" kept popping up. So I asked a few friends what it meant... and apparently iftar just refers to the Muslims breaking their fast together. *slaps forehead*
So that was what all the hype was about! Oh Allah. I can't believe I was kept out of the loop. No wonder everyone was throwing that word around this way and that, using it at every opportunity. It makes people think of friends, family and food. Lots of food.
Unfortunately, it somehow feels unnatural for me to use the word. It doesn't roll off my tongue the way it should. I mean, I can use it all I want and people won't suspect a thing, but inside I feel uber pretentious. I used it with my mom last night, and she looked at me weird.
Well, anyway! I just had iftar with some buddies last night. About 20 people...? It was at the GFF's condo and oh lordy, there was so much food. Spaghetti & meatballs, fried rice, pineapple rice, beef rendang, corn on the cob, chicken salad, nachos, buffalo wings in bbq sauce...
A few people asked me to make the old chicken cheese casserole but I wasn't feeling too inspired. I slapped up some cheddar cheese burritos instead, which were apparently a bloody hit with the guys and kids (yeah there were toddlers, too). I'm feeling all guilty coz none of the girlies (except for the GFF) got to taste it. LULZ. Maybe next time...
And I don't know which blessed soul made the tahu telor and ayam belado but I'm pretty sure she's going to heaven. I swear to you I had a monkeyish grin on my face as I ate those. So yummeh, I think my eyes rolled to the back of my head. Dude. Someone should be there to take my picture when I'm eating something delicious. I wanna know how I look like when I get an orga- Oh, I also ate a LOAD of the pineapple rice although I'm not a fan. It was just... parfait. And the buffalo wings!! Lovely, lovely BBQ sauce. Sigh. So much for losing weight in Ramadhan.
I should stop blogging about food coz once I start, I can't seem to stop. What did you have for dinner? And my fellow Muslim sisters.. what did you buka puasa with? Tell me, tell me!
The Nashty
- Nashe^
- Twenty7 and not much hotter. Looking for my happily ever after.
Be a Baller and Join My Twitterazzi
Or Click Here to Ask Me Dirty Questions
Mantra of The Moment
Stalking Me Yet?
Followers
Stuff I REALLY Want
- Love in the first degree
- A Trip to North Africa
- A brain scan/ fMRI
- All books by Belinda Jones
- All books by Rachel Gibson

36 comments:
if a magical jinn ever appears and asks me where in the world would i like to have dinner, i won't have to think twice-- the answer will be singapore. if he asks again the next day, paris.
Hey sister in Islam!
I had the cockles kway teow noodles from Banquet @ causeway point tadi. Sedih sey, my family & relatives tak sempat iftar ah these days...
Will you turn this blog into a food blog? :) Glad that you had a feast. I'm currently on diet, so I better not read your blog for a while :)
Wooooooooh! Is that the nachos?
I looked at your chicken cheese casserole again and now I'm craving for it! I wanna taste your burritos too ^^
@ Uno: LOL. Come on down!
@ Fai: Banquet cockles kway teow... CLASSIC!
@ MKL: WHY are you dieting?? Haha!
@ Justyn: Yeap, nachos! Oh, I don't make the burritos often...hehe.
I'm dieting because I saw how skinny some male models look and now I feel fat :P No, I just want to lose like 5kg, my tummy is already hard to pull in when I snap a pic. It's time act :)
hey im losing too much weight i freaking hate it. i dont look hot anymore in my skinny - yeah it's THAT bad. urgh. i should be living with you during ramadhan so that we both can shove food down each other's throat.
im having chicken wings goreng KFC, chicken curry and seafood tomyam (while buying a new laptop? online)
food! oh food! how i miss you. in front of me there is a slice of waffles topped with nutella spread. omgd, 2 more hours to break fast! go ejannz go!
@GirlInStiletto, how about we go out to eat together and you always eat half of my dish, too? So I can lose some weight and you gain a little ;-) Oops, you're don't happen to be in Slovenia, do you? :)
@ MKL: LOL. I need more discipline...
@ Ejannz: Woopz I'm sorry you had to read this now! I honestly thought you dah buka puasa over there, that's why I updated =( Don't care about the waffles. GO EJANNZ GO!!
MKL: nope. too bad! or else i'd love to finish half of your plate :P
I'm starving after reading this! haha. I haven't had any dinner yet :(
I had a bowl of honey nut cheerios because I didn't feel like cooking.
I want your food.
I know...klasik habis kan itu makanan. I can't believe you never knew whats IFTAR. omg. Hahaha.
I still think our belado vs balado debate was unneeded. haha!
Btw, Tysha's mum made the tahu telor. i duno who brought the ayam belado.
-RD
@ Nic: HOHOHO. Go eat!
@ Woo: And I want some honey nut cheerios. For serious.
@ Fai: I never did, coz people always used "buka puasa" around me. =\
@ RD: Thanks for that info! Now I'm gonna bug Tysha's mom...
Now I learned something to!! I'm not muslim though, so maybe not that odd that I didn't know... Hm.. I don't think you should stop blogging about food. Who doesn't love food? Add recipies!! We should do a big recipe swap! Then we all really could have an international kitchen!!! Yes! You in?
ah, i just love food. yum yum yum. since you asked. last night i actually went for all you can eat dinner with friends!!! the hit there was the all you can eat crab legs... *droools* i can't stop too once i start talking about it. haha! and love what you crossed off in your post... are you suureeee you want to see? hahahah!
It's not time yet today but last night I had....pancakes, banana cake, roast chicken, eggplant salad, zucchini salad and other stuff before passing out in a food coma.
oh wow! that is a lot of food sweetie! I heard about that. People fast during the day and for dinner they gather with friends and family to eat a very filling meal. all that food looks amazing! My mouth is watering right now.
@ Carina: That sounds like fun! I suck at recipes though... Mostly I just use whatever that's available! =3
@ Kym: Teehee! Oh man. As much as my weight hates them, I loooove all-you-can-eats!
@ Sarah: ROFL. Banana cake sounds good! Been so long since I had some...
@ Mel: Are you slobbering all over my page? XD
I will kick Ejannz for saying that, dammit eating yummy foods and losing weight? Duuuude. *buttkick
I think fasting can make people gain weighhhttt..so many yummy foods.
That looks so freaking amazing. Oh my lord. And a similar effect also takes place when I'm gorging on food that I love, especially chocolate.
@ Andhari: Yeahuh! Not fair she loses weight! XD
@ Candice: I'd like to see that similar effect :D
Now I know what I'll give you for your birthday.
@ Wooz: You do, aye.
but hey! there's not more fat on the ass. you're gonna hurt your own foot for kicking my bony butt. i love my (ex)perky butt ok :(
Ejannz, I guess you'll have to inform our little lawyer that sometimes there's really no justice in this world! XD
ah great, you are so making me hungry right now. batal apa we're going to lose our fasting reward gak yaa kalau gini? hahaha.
@ Nitia: Kuatkan iman, dong nit!! XD
haven't had a proper buka puasa food since all my classes are in the evening. yesterday my video lab went until midnite, and i ended up not eating anything cause i collased to bed right after that -_-'
@Dez: OMG HOW can it drag to midnight?? Sheesh...
it started at 6.30, but the lecture was late (again). took nearly half an hour to set up the lighting, and then the lab went so slow because nearly half of the class couldn't do the task properly. now i know why working in the film industry is stressful -_-'
That's complete abuse. LOL
since the tutor is freakishly gorgeous, i don't really mind *Wink
iftar is the only thing about Ramzaan that makes it feel like some celebration. The F.O.O.D!! Like you im not much of a religious person, but a definite foodie...n don't stop blogging about food dude. it is never enuf...
@ Dez: HOHOHO!
@ QB: I know, right! So much for people saying we can lose weight during this month...
Post a Comment