Scientia est Potentia
Don't ask what nerdy ghost possessed me, but.. I actually attended a seminar on Conversational Storytelling in school yesterday. I'm happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed it, not just because the speaker was entertaining and there was free food.
It's a personal issue. Lets just say the topic came at the right time. It answered a lot of questions I realized I have, but hadn't asked. Don't you just love talks like that? The seminar itself came just in time to save me from total deterioration of my brain, after months of doing nothing.
It was time to get some direction back in my life, y'know? I don't feel good sitting around while my friends have made concrete plans for the future. I came out of the seminar feeling practically enlightened.I'm making it sound like some religious sermon. Like I said, it's a personal issue.
I realize that I really like being in an academic setting. Especially one which involves sociological topics. I guess I like it coz I have a lot to say, though I don't necessarily talk all the time. I like it even better when people start repeating/quoting stuff I say.
There's something very empowering about giving a single-line comment or putting forth an idea, then sitting back and simply listening to the others discuss it in earnest in front of you. The feeling is as great as having them listen to you and get excited because you'd just mentioned something they've been thinking about, too.
I left the place assured (of my sanity?) at the end of the day. Assured, because now I know that there are people out there who actually think about the same obscure things I think about. There are people out there who wouldn't consider me this flimsy over-analytical girl when I spew my personal theories.
I'm no closer to figuring out what exactly I want after my 4 years in university but like so what, right? I'll cross the bridge when I get there.
--
"It’s not a weakness if you don’t know what to do with your life- that’s the state most of us are in most of the time. The weakness is if you don’t want anything at all and settle for just the minimum of what you can get.
Don’t sit at home doing nothing and not know! You don’t have to know what you want to be when you graduate. Get active. Take the classes, meet the people, and a clearer path will emerge than if you were just sitting home. Because you can’t generate something from nothing- no matter how hard you sit and think it over. And this applies to anything in life. If you don’t know what to do, do something.”
- Kimora Lee Simmons
The Nashty
- Nashe^
- Twenty7 and not much hotter. Looking for my happily ever after.
Be a Baller and Join My Twitterazzi
Or Click Here to Ask Me Dirty Questions
Mantra of The Moment
Stalking Me Yet?
Followers
Stuff I REALLY Want
- Love in the first degree
- A Trip to North Africa
- A brain scan/ fMRI
- All books by Belinda Jones
- All books by Rachel Gibson

46 comments:
je me souviens..."scientia est potentia"..il y a deux annees!
you go!!!! (worship)
@ Dilah: Oh I remember that. Haha. :D
@ Masth: Allons-y! (bringit)
i wish i had the chance to see you in action. i ain't gonna lie, even in a non-academic conversation, there are things you say that stick in my mind for hours or days after.
``got your email.
@ Putra: YAY.
You seem to be of a same kind like me. I miss those times when I studied, the discussions, the interesting debates. Well, now it's all plain and simple... Enjoy while it lasts.
I agree with Putra. I wish I cld see you doing your thing all nerdy and cute. lol. You have abt 3-4 more years of this thing. Use it well!
I definitely live by Kimora rules when some things i plan dont go according to the plans.
you'll cross the bridge :)
Sapere aude!!!
With your language skills, after you get your linguistics degree, you should get a UN posting and then see if you can bargain that into some assistance in getting a law degree later with a focus on international law.
That way you could start focusing your electives and whatnot in that direction now.
Just a thought that blew through my ears *shrug*
i miss the academic setting sometimes. then i remember i'm making money and not having my soul sucked out by professors, and i smile.
This post had every promising sign of an assured sanity. Good job, Nashe.
I found that work is the only thing that has been constant in my life. Thus, when things get really shitty, I drown myself in work and know that work will never leave me. Being in academic settings seems to keep you sane and grounded. That's like finding your lifesaver.
@ MKL: Oh trust me, I WILL enjoy it. :)
@ Izan: LOL!
@ Andhari: Kimora rules rule, eh?
@ Ejannz: Sure will! Whooot.
@ Uno: Word up?
@ Gad: I live for justice, but I doubt law itself is my thing. I've never thought of doing UN before, that should be so interesting...
@ Angryredhead: Oh yeah making money is def good. At least you're happy doing it!
@ Demigoddess: Yes, you're right. Not to be one-dimensional, but in away, maybe this is what I'm all about eyh.
As you put it the last time... "I AM IN MY ELEMENT"!
ya betul. Bill Blass said "when in doubt, wear red".similarly, "when in doubt,listen to kimora lee simmons.or nashe".
@ Fai: Is it weird to say "I might be right"?
@ Syaza: Word. Plato ain't got nothin' on me. d:^,
I was in that phase, too. All humans are, I think. This phase of constantly asking where my life will lead and figuring out uncertainties is part of growing up.
For the time being, avoid wasting too much time thinking and over-analyzing things. Enjoy life!
aw sounds like an amazing lecture. answering questions you have that you didn't even think to ask.. very well put.
I love it that you can be so academic while having fun. Or the other way round.
@ Amor: Yeahuh. I never over-analyze anything in everyday life, but I can be quite Nazi when it comes to academia.
@ Floreta: It was a really good talk, indeed. I totally can't deny that.
@ Ortega: Y'know, I'm quite glad about that myself :)
i was expecting a blog swap here... u didnt join?
@ John: No I didn't.
no? why? have u tried it before?
Nope. Just didn't feel like it.
ah ok. i juz thought it was a nice way to promote ur blog, meet new friends and put something fresh in your site...
u should try joining the next 20sb blog swap.
I don't actually dig this sort of stuff. I just like reading.
Ahh.. I'd love to swap with you some nice words over coffee and about some intellectual stuff. But there's 10000 miles between us. That's why, let's continue the debate online ;-)
@MKL: Anytime, dude :)
;-) Definitely. I got to know many nice bloggers from Singlaisia, when I return there, amma gonna meet few. You are definitely on the list. I wonder how your studies will go, because we're both in the linguistic matters.
@ MKL: Well then come down here and we'll talk. haha.
Singlaisia!
Cannot lah! Maybe next year, k. At that time, you will be 21 and we can skip the McD milk shake, but go straight for Bourbon :P Kidding, Nashatella Liberallis :)
I CANNOT believe you just called me that!
*faints*
Well what does it matter whether I'm 20 or 21? The legal age here is 18! And no, I'm not a Bourbon person...
Hey, I created a great new nickname for you. Maybe u can use it when u apply for overseas job ;-)
First of all, I got owned by you. I thought legal age in Orchardpore is 21 (*blush blush). Secondly, i'm not a Bourbon person either. I saw you're sippin' wine. I like wine, too. Anyway, hope maman picked you up now... becuz... you fainted :)
It's 18!! Is that surprising? Hoho.
Will white wine and mojitos do? :D
Here's 18 as well.. I thought you were more conservative there, which would make you, Nashatella Liberallis, a beacon for liberal issues there.
How did you know I prefer white wine over red? Never drank mojitos, but I'd love to try, if you're in my company ;-)
Ps: OMG, we turned this thread into a dating-chat, hahaha
Yeah. Thank god I "own" this thread coz if it was someone else's blog... people will be like, "WTF are these two talking about?!"
oh well.
oh my god, i'm so going to follow words by words from you.. this is very great and make me stronger inside.. :)))
I'm very moved by that statement, Nitya :) Thank you.
I agree. Every day is an adventure that we should explore and learn and have fun with :-)
Have fun. Totally.
Hello Melissa!
Thanks for stopping by
Great post-modern imageries in here!But hey!U hvn't visited me for a while!Pls c my new poem.
www.deepteshpoetry.blogspot.com
Post a Comment