What Am I?

So I was going home from school..after a dodo day of doing a Maths paper(which i completely flunked already). At the MRT station this Indian man pulling a little trolley asked me "_________..Choa chu kang?" I just stared. Coz that entire line was in Tamil. No kidding; TAMIL. So I was like "??" and I guessed he realised I wasn't Indian after all, so he reworded the question and apparently it was "Which train goes to Choa Chu Kang station?" ... Sighs. Ok. I told him its this one and that was that. But I felt weird lah ok? Indian... haha..it's a funny thought, though. Indian. Wahaha!

Thatz not the end of my story, really. When I reached my own station (and alighted), this Ah Pek carrying an umbrella was like, "Ah moi ah... ____?" I stared again coz the whole thing was in Chinese or some other dialect. WTF! He looked really blur so I told him straight (in Chinese) that I'm Malay (and i dont know why but i had this whiny tone). Anyway the old man was all "oh...sorry ah," and ambled away; leaving me to ponder, how can one person think I'm Indian, and another person think I'm Chinese? Majorly contradictory.

Oh, the other day? I was reading my notes on the train platform while waiting for Zee to arrive.. and this Malay man went "Miss... Are you Malay or Chinese? Coz you look Chinese(...)You're in a JC huh?" This one, I'm not quite sorry to say I raised my eyebrow at him. It was like so obvious that he's plain bored and wanted some unconventional flirting. Seriously. And hello, half of his sentence was in malay. It's pretty clear that he already thought/knew I was Malay, so cut the bull. I replied- "Melayu" and "Ah, JC." and went off to get another seat. Honestly, man... Don't do unnecesary things with me.. especially when you see me busy flipping pages after pages of my notes. And his JC remark really got to me coz he was implying that we Malays aren't smart enough to get into one. Well, mister, I'm sorry that your son unfortunately dropped outta school but seriously? Not all Malays have kids like you. And I'm just being mean. Stop here.

Actually, the Lets-Take-A-Wild-Stab-At-Nashe's-Race continued the next Saturday, when I went out with Myra, Syira, Ash, Hairuz, Hazwan and Saffy. We were sitting at McCafe with this white couple next to us.. And the woman suddenly leaned over and tapped me on the shoulder.
Woman : Hi. Excuse me..
Me : Oh hi...
Woman : My name is Catherina. Me and my husband here, we're currently doing a project, and we'd like to know "ARE YOU SINHALESE?"
Me(choking) : I'm what??
Catherina : Sinhalese... Oh you mean you're not? You look like you certainly could be. We thought you might not be from Singapore.
Me : Ahh..yeah.

Ok Fine. So if I'm not from Singapore, I'm from Sri Lanka. Is that it? But it got the rest laughing like coyotes. Only Saffy was being blur and asking "Sinhalese? What's that?" Haiz. Sigh sigh sigh.

So I'm all Malay, Chinese, Indian, and the best-- SINHALESE. What's next?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha. well, you do have that unique look. =) Hehe.

People don't know boyanese uh.. so anyhow sinhalese...

nyeahaha.

still remember the 'sinhala-only language policy' thingy? hurhur.


and then some people think you are chinese because your eyes getting smaller.. haha.


Ok, anyway, you take care.

Nashe^ said...

WAKAKAKAKA......... and yes, i do remember Johnny Foo going all Social studies on me...

how can i forget?

ahh damn. DAMN sepet-ness.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I don't know the difference from one race to another....You're just Nashe to me. Doesn't matter, I love you just as you are.

Now,did you say you were Polynesian, or what? LOL ;-)

Raghav said...

must mean that u look exotic
maybe uve got this unique world look
u know like an embodiment of all the pretty features from various cultures

Nashe^ said...

@ Diane : teehee thanks! Polynesian? Whooo that would be seriously cool actually... I wish I was part Japanese, though..! haha. all the half/part-Japanese people I've seen are SERIOUSLY Gorgeous.




@ Raghav : Oh man, that was so sweet it moved me to tears. Hahaha..
Hmm I'm not entirely positive that I got the exotic look, you know. maybe coz i've been staring at the same dodo face for 17 years. hohoho

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive