Sama oh-sama...surname saga
I'm giddy.... so forgive me if you find my words funny or anything. But this post is just to let out my inner thoughts aiite? And the real things that go about in my mind are deliberately uncoordinated- to prevent psychics and mind-readers from reaching and deciphering my deepest thoughts.
It's a supercool theory. I know.
Anyways, my 35yr old uncle passed away yesterday, and my much older paternal grandfather today. I'm tempted to say "Wah, style" but I won't. Won't talk about it, coz my mind now for some weird psychedelic reason refuses to think much/thoroughly about big things. But you can tell me that the neighbour's 57yr-old cat died and I'll freak.
Oh, you know what? i went to my aunt's house alone recently at night and as I was going up the 10 flights of stairs(the lift was too far away), I saw this cat with thread thingies 'tangled' on its head, over the ears. [this is mid-flight] And me, being the felinist, decided to remove the stuff from it. As I got busy bending down & fluffing off the thready stuff, i didnt realise that there was this really dark Indian woman with SUPERHUGE bulging eyes coming up the stairs. ok, i was looking down at the kitty, right? Then when i looked up she was there staring somewhat reproachfully at me. Freaky to the max! My scream totally got caught in my throat lar...I like, nearly toppled over backward...but i scrambled away to the next flight of stairs... Gosh, she must've been thinking wth is this girl doing... But its ok, i'm no stranger to weird looks.
Sighxx..I've been thinkin, and i realised that I'm not fully sure of surnames. We malays don't have surnames...I mean, take this scenario..*i got the names from a book*
Miss Sherry Valance marries Mr Ponyboy Curtis.
After marriage, her name will be Sherry Curtis, right? (i got that far,ok)
But what is it if you add a "Mrs" prefix?
is it (a)Mrs Sherry Curtis...? coz i'm confused when I saw a (b)"Mrs Ponyboy Curtis".
aarh... am i even making sense? *i dont know, Nashe* If someone understands what i'm driving at, please educate me. I wanna learn. Enrich Nashe, and thou shalt be greatly rewarded.
Anyhoodlez, on the topic of surnames, I heard another ".....but it is unclear, as bin Laden to date has not...." on the news. Like HELLO? WHAT 'bin laden'? Its sounds like "being laid", thou ball-choking fool. I don't know how many bloody bombs the guy has to blow before the bulk of reporters and journalists finally get the message that his name is fucking not bin Laden. Maybe if newspapers at long last print their correct names, the poor terrorists will just quit exploding all over the place, eh? Goodness gracious God.
Is it pure lack of education & culturedness, or real miscomprehension that causes the idiots to make these "mistakes"? Neither? Cos i'm guessing its plain complete ignorance.
White reporter to another: "You know Ben, you dont have to put their correct names...Viewers still know who we're talking about; and those Afghans hardly have TV anyway..."
Issues like this totally irk me, dad. Why is it so damn hard to put the right name? Haiz. I shall be a selfless though pretty vulgar being and set aside some of my precious time just to enlighten certain people and eradicate stupidity. Settle down, class.
I don't give half a flying fox what your race is; everybody listen real hard ok, his name is OSAMA. Oei! You there! Stop touching yourself! Can read or not? OSAMA. sigh. i still think you aint getting me.
Look child, his full name is Osama bin Laden, see? Osama is his name. You call him that. "Bin" is like, "son of". get it? Geddit you fothermucker?? and... Laden is his father's name, kids. So its like-- Osama, son of Laden.
And baby, if you say just "bin Laden", it literally means "son of Laden". I mean, yeah sure you can use your Mr and Mrs Surname for others, but -reality check- it fucken doesn't apply to Muslims, can?
I know ambiguity is cool and all, but seeing the fact that Mr Laden has like 52 children, it kinda takes the blo0dy creativity out of the equation, doesn't it? Tell you what, my dear imbeciles, if you like the phrase "bin Laden" so much, then farken say his full name. (I dont know guys, some people have twisted likings..) Any questions thus far?
Damn. I should get a Volunteer's Award or something, for teaching fucked-up semi-educated retards for free. To all fellow Sg'eans, if ever you read/hear one more "..bin Laden" being published/uttered in the slowly-downgrading S'pore media, do let me know. I haven't written a reporter-flaming complaint letter in a long time.
The Nashty
- Nashe^
- Twenty7 and not much hotter. Looking for my happily ever after.
Be a Baller and Join My Twitterazzi
Or Click Here to Ask Me Dirty Questions
Mantra of The Moment
Stalking Me Yet?
Followers
Stuff I REALLY Want
- Love in the first degree
- A Trip to North Africa
- A brain scan/ fMRI
- All books by Belinda Jones
- All books by Rachel Gibson

7 comments:
Nashe,
My, we DO have our knickers in a twist, don't we? LOL ;-)
I'm very sorry for your loss in the death of your uncle and grandfather. I wish there was more I could say or do, but if it helps at all, I will be praying for you and thinking about you. :-)
And the cat thing on the stairs was TOO WEIRD. Strange, even.....
As far as the surname thing goes, either is acceptable. I am Diane Jennings, Mrs. Diane Jennings, and Mrs. Lamar Jennings. Usually when the husband's surname is used it is to show a relationship to his side of the family as well as the woman's. When referring more to something individualized, like something an accomplishment of the woman particularly, either Mrs. Diane or just Diane Jennings is more often used. I know, it's kind of anal, but it's just how it is done over here. LOL :-)
And I knew about the Osama bin Laden thing, honestly. And, there's no telling how many Osama bin Ladens there are out there, either. Von, Mac or Mc, al, and many more are words for "son of", then there's all the -----son's, like Williamson, Thomson, Carlson, and so on.
And it really is ignorance on most people's part with the misuse of names. They just don't know the difference. Of course, a lot don't care to learn, either.
So, what should I properly call you? Nashe, Nurun, Nashria.....? How would I write your name on a letter? Nurun Nashria? Which is your given, and which is your surname? Do you inherit part of your name from your Mom or Dad, and which?
My Dad's name was Frank Cook. I was born, Lena Diane Cook. When I got married, I became Lena Diane Jennings, and Jessica's name is Jennings until she marries. Or, here, you can choose to keep your maiden name from your Dad instead of taking your husband's name, but it is still fairly rare. Sometimes, women hyphenate their maiden and married names, like Cook-Jennings. That's nonsense to me, for Pete's sake, just choose one already, LOL. :-) If I haven't made it clear to you, just email me or ask more questions. I hope I haven't confused you even more. :-)
Sorry for the small book I wrote, LOL. :-)
Your book is on its way to be a bestseller, D! ahakz. Now let me write mine.. XD
Hmmmz... so what you're saying, is that you can be BOTH Mrs Diane Jennings and Mrs Lamar Jennings... right?
ie; u can use his whole name and put a Mrs in front...i see ouh okie. Roger that, Mrs J!
Oh yeah, about the "son of" thing, it really is diverse, ain't it? but i just cant stand ignorance...
I've got many chinese teachers who hyphenate their surnames t0o..like Koh-Quek, Yee-Tan. I suppose they felt its unique or something.
Well, my full name is Nurun Nashriah Binte Asri. Nashe is just a nickname. NN is ma name. "Binte" is 'daughter of' and Asri is my dad's name. And we don't have surnames at all. Hmm... many of us either shorten the Binte to a "bte", or we dont write it at all.-- Nurun Nashriah Asri.
I dont inherit any part of my parents name, i think that's more for the Middle easterns. =)
So whatever u write, i am Miss Nurun/Nashriah (doesnt matter which coz both are my name). u can throw in the dad's name if u like.
When i get married i'll be MaDaM Nurun/Nashriah. No 'Mrs' for us...
who0oz.enlightening.
My, Nashe, aren't we busy tonight. :-)
I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle. The Indian woman thing, though? I don't quite get it. I guess I am trying to figure out who she was. I can understand the bulging eyes thing, though. That would freak anybody out.
The Ponyboy Curtis thing is from "The Outsiders." Ponyboy was the main character, and Sherry Valance was sort of a sub character. My guess is by adding the "Mrs. Ponyboy Curtis", the author was applying her to the more popular character. It's kind of like when Britney Spears married that Kevin guy. For awhile, a lot of the rag mags refered to him as Mr. Britney Spears.
The Osama thing? I guess it started just for the reason that he is not confused with any other Osama, not that any come to mind. BTW, did I mention my name is Mike bin Goodwin? :-) I guess the press would have to keep using his name that way in the same way they would differentiate Mike Goodwin from Mike Jones here in the US. I can understand the issue you mentioned, though, of the press just using "bin Laden."
All my opinion of course. I'm in no way an expert on the subject. I could probably tell you more about bulging eyed Indian women than I could about Muslim culture. ;-)
@mike : ahakz. Yes! Its from The Outsiders! how'd you know,Mikey? it was my Literature text 4 years back..
i just used it as an example coz its one of my fave books, though. The author didnt put any Mrs whatsoever. teehee.
Well, haha, of course none of the Laden kids are as popular/infamous as Osama but you know, what's so hard about putting correct terms, rite?
i guess newscasters decided to get rid of trisyllable to sound more "professional" or simply out of negligence. in any case, its a mistake they really shouldnt have made in the first place.
good work pointing that out :)
Actually, Nashe, I have never read the book, though I know it was published in 1967. The only reason I know about "The Outsiders" was the movie that they made in 1983. It was the starting point for such actors as Tom Cruise, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, and Rob Lowe, just to name a few. If you have never seen it, it is an excellent movie.
As far as Osama, CNN probably started the whole bin Laden thing, and everyone else just followed suit. :-)
@lastlife : Haha! professional my foot. Negligence is negligence,eyh?
@mike : i watched the movie!! Ponyboy and Dally were so hottt...
XD. Patrick swayze was like, Pony's older brother.. hehe. rexcellent movie? Totally.
Post a Comment