SIAK AH. IL PARLE MALAIS.

"Saya rindu kamu setiap saat."

"Saya berjanji tidak akan membuatmu menangis untuk sembarang perkara yang akan membawa keburukan."

"Janganlah menangis. Nanti saya pula menangis."

"Saya ingin menjadi sapu tanganmu, supaya boleh saya meringankan rasa kesedihanmu..."

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Those are the kind of whacked sentences you get when a totally non-native speaker of Malay is trying to declare his affections for you. In Malay. Seriously, certain things should so not be tried.


For one, I can't reply coherently besides a "haha/okay/really?" to such stuff. Secondly, I just find it lame to say these things in Malay (formal Malay at that). It's just too weird. Not that it would have been so much better if he had done it in English, but still...

Truthfully, I would have followed my natural instincts to give him a hug or something right there if he was someone else but dayum he's from the Middle East and I just don't know how to act around people from there. I mean, how would he react? It's crazy. You don't just touch Middle Easterns (especially ardent Muslims) any old way you like. And I feel awkward when I don't know what to do with my hands.



Translation for the above sentences :
1) I miss you every second.
2) I promise I won't make you cry (for bad reasons).
3) Don't cry. Or you'll make me cry as well.
4) I wish to be your handkerchief, so that I can alleviate your sorrow.



I should really just tell him what kind of person I am so he can quit wasting his time and we can both get the hell on with life. This would be very funny to me.. if it wasn't actually happening to me. Pity whichever Malay person he accosted and extracted the translations from, too.


/update/

Askerov: "What do you mean you don't like it? You want me to say 'Aku rindu kamu setiap saat' instead of 'Saya rindu kamu'? But 'aku' is rude, Nash... I'll use 'saya'."

Me: Dude. Just WHERE are you getting these phrases from?

Askerov: From my heart.



Aww shucks.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nash. your life is just twisted, okay?

-RD

Anonymous said...

That was some amazing malay... tak percaye sak.

Nurun, I'd kill to have some handsome middle eastern guy fall in love with me. Maybe u should give him a chance?

Nashe^ said...

@ RD : THANKS, Bamb. You always make my day :/


@ Fai : It's not happening, okay. And kau nak aku campak si Adam kat mane?

Anonymous said...

My my... He seems totally smitten ;]
First the flowers and now weird phrases...Don't crush him.

Woozie said...

He's a fool in love...haven't we all been there?

Nashe^ said...

@ Flash : OKAY.


@ Woo : I haven't been there yet. Not like that. :)

Gadfly said...

Well, if he's "Muslim standard" in belief structure, he's going to be judgmental about the way you live your life. And of course, he'll have no right, bc you're the rockin'est chick around :o)

Might as well tell him a dick joke and make him go away LOL

OK, that was evil, but I couldn't resist. I'm sure there's a nicer way to get the point across.

iamwhoiam said...

hahahaha. that's MALAY brought to you man.


shakila

Nashe^ said...

@ Gad: teehee. I know. Still have to figure out what that nice way is.


@ Shilaa: It's worse than Mr Voyau attempting to say APA KHABAR, tau. Haha.

Anonymous said...

Gosh my skin was crawling just reading that. Get clingy on him and he'll be repelled hah! Wait, it can go either way...

Nashe^ said...

@ Ass : I KNOW LAH! Especially the sapu tangan part, kan!??

The Nashty

Mantra of The Moment

“If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michael D. Montaigne

Stalking Me Yet?

Hawwllerrr!

Amélie Photobucket Get your own free Blogoversary button! Photobucket
eXTReMe Tracker

Followers

Stuff I REALLY Want

  • Love in the first degree
  • A Trip to North Africa
  • A brain scan/ fMRI
  • All books by Belinda Jones
  • All books by Rachel Gibson

Blog Archive